Friday, November 19, 2010

Stepping Up in Kingly Fashion

Last night at the dress rehearsal one of the worse things that can happen did happen. One of the lead parts got very sick. 102.7 fever! So an hour before the full dress rehearsal in front of an audience, #1 was asked to step in and take the king's spot. I didn't even know what was going on because I was putting make-up on the other actors. Evidently about an hour before the rehearsal the actor called the director to say he couldn't make it. The director asked #1 to step in, and he did a great job. I found out about 20 minutes before they were to go on. He came to ask me to do his make-up, and we were able to chat for a minute. He was nervous, but doing ok. While the cast went over some last notes, he sat on the bleachers going over the part. I felt miserable for him, knowing that he doesn't like change. After everything got settled, I went out to the auditorium to watch the play. I have been at several practices this week, but I am always graading papers or some such task and hadn't seen more than snatches of the play. The play is The Spell of Sleeping Beauty, and it is funny. It is meant as children's theater and involves the audience a bit. The evil witch is perfect, and I imagine some small kids may cry!
#1 was able to say a lot of the lines without any aid from the script. He is in a lot of scenes with the king, so he also had to teach another kid his original part. I was impressed with his ability to jump right in and take over. Yes, he used the script some, but honestly he stuck to the part and did excellent.
Even people in the audience were amazed at how comfortable he was and how quickly he caught on and knew the part.
At the curtain call, he was called out, "Go King!!" He told me on the way home that he wished people would just tell the truth, "You did ok for the first time, but you messed up a lot." I told him he was nuts. If it had been his part for the whole play they would be right in saying such a thing, but to jump in and take over a large part like he did was a very royal act indeed. Hopefully the other kid will be fine by tonight, it would be a shame for him to miss out after all of the hard work and time he put into the play. But if he is still sick, #1 will be the king.

No comments: