Monday, April 25, 2011

Parents' Visit

We had a nice visit with my parents. Thursday they went to see the boys' art show and science fair. It was a culmination event of the school year. They really did a lot of neat art projects during the year, and it was great to see everyone's efforts. The science fair was good too. #1 chose to do his experiment on the myth that talking to your palnts actually helps them to grow. He decided that it was the CO2 that makes them grow when you talk to them, so he had one plant listen to the radio, and he breathed on the second plant but didn't talk. The results were what he predicted, though it wasn't a great difference in growth.
Friday we burned brush all day. The trees that have fallen over the last two years needed to be burned, and the weather was perfect for it. I was afraid that we were going to end up with snakes if we waited any longer, but the real problem turned out to be bees. A carpenter bee was laying eggs in some of the wood, but we burned it before the eggs hatched, so we were lucky. I started burning at 8 a.m. and at lunch time was still burning, so we had a weenie roast for lunch!
In the afternoon Dad and I butchered 4 roosters. They were tough old birds. I think I will have to be quicker to butcher this summer so that the meat isn't so tough. The egg laying business is still going well for #2, but now we only have to feed one rooster. That has to help some.
Speaking of #2...Poison Ivy!!!! Yep, he managed to get into it again. He spends most of the year with some poison breakout, but this is an exceptional case. He has it all over his feet and there are really big blisters and boils from it between his toes. I tried to take him to the doc yesterday but on Easter that was a vain attempt. So I took him this morning, and he has started his Prednisone. I keep wondering how such a good Envirothon student can get poison ivy so often.
Hubby is at the courthouse. He had to report for jury selection. Everywhere we have lived he has had to report. I don't know how he gets so lucky! I just finished up grades for my paying students, now I need to work on my non-paying students' grades.
Testing starts tomorrow and after competition over the weekend we will be done with school. YeeHaw!!!

No comments: