Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Back home once again. I seem to be disappearing and reappearing a lot of late. This last trip was home to throw a surprise 40th wedding anniversary party for my parents. They had an inkling that something would happen but had no idea what. So the surprise element was still there. We met at a picnic site at the local state park and friends and family came to wish them well and congratulate them. The weather was agreeable and my father came out of the hayfield to participate. That had been the most stressful part- how to keep it a surprise and yet get him out of the hay. In their memory I thought I would tell their engagement story. My father is 5 1/2 years older than my mother. He was just finishing up his stint in the army and she was in high school. They met through mutual friends who were dating. Their first date was to go driving to look at Christmas lights and decorations; I believe it was on Christmas Eve. It was love at first site, evidently, since they were married 5 months later. I don't know when they became engaged. My Dad is not a romantic guy, or else not creative, because when he proposed he placed the ring in the glove box of the car. While they were on a date, he said, "Open the glove box." And there she found the ring. That was it. They have 2 children, me and an older brother, and my 2 boys for grandchildren. Their marriage has had a lot of rough spots, but shines all the more for the polishing. They look forward to another 40 years, according to my Dad.

No comments: