Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Keeping up with the Joneses is not normally a problem for me. I don't much covet what others have, I'm not jealous of other's wealth and possessions. I have a fabulous life and I know it. I really am grateful for all that God has blessed me with financially, but my thoughts are more often turned toward what God has given me that has no monetary value...my husband and children, the opportunity to be a home schooling family, great extended family, a happy childhood, land and space to enjoy the beauty around me, a church family that loves the Lord. But sometimes the Jones family creeps into my thoughts. We went to a music recital of a friend from church on Sunday. He did a great job and has accomplished much by his study of music. Afterward, his parents had a reception at their house to celebrate his success. I was asking the father about how they got into doing all of this musical activity and he told me the kids never really loved it. Their mom made them do it. So I went on to ask why would you force them to do it if they really don't enjoy it- it is a very expensive activity. He thinks it is good for them to have something that disciplines their lives and this is a good intellectual way to do that. Enter the Joneses. I started to wonder am I wrong to not push my children more when they hate an activity? Should I force them to continue, even though it means arguing and punishing, paying out money? I guess it may not be the "Jones Syndrome", maybe it is insecurity as a parent, but it flustered and frustrated me. I have made the children finish activities they start and don't enjoy. If I have paid for something you WILL finish it, whether you like it or not. They have learned some discipline by that I suppose. Then I started to think about my childhood and to ask my husband about his. We are both very bright people, always at the top of our classes. We are fulfilled adults with a healthy perspective on life. Neither one of us had a "discipline" as a child and we turned out fine. I finally have decided that it is the American Ideal creeping in on me again that has upset me so. Let the children explore what they want to explore at the rate and pace they want to explore it. They will follow the path that leads to happiness just as their parents did.

No comments: