Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Something happened yesterday that surprised me. My dad told me a few weeks ago that he wants to sell the farm, but wondered if I am planning on coming back to it. I laughingly told him to let me know when he has an offer and then I will decide. He often makes statements for the joy of a response, so I wasn't really worried about it. Then yesterday I had a conversation with my mother-in-law and she asked what I thought of my parents selling the family farm. Evidently dad told her that they won't sell it soon, but after mom retires in a few years, then they will sell it and travel. That wasn't really what surprised me. I didn't like hearing it from someone else, but still consider it blowing hot air. I started thinking about my childhood there, about not having a "family farm" anymore, where would my children and grandchildren consider me to be from if they don't know my farm... on and on the thoughts came. But as to what surprised me, in the afternoon I had this thought, "I have no idea what will happen between now and then, why am I worrying about this? God has always provided what is best, and why would it be any different now? God this is all yours. You solve it however you want and I won't worry about it anymore." I have given things over to God before, but it was the swiftness with which I gave it to him that surprised me. Normally I would think about it, solve the problem, think of all possible scenarios, and then, when I am wiped out, then I will give it to God. What a joy to only hang onto this for an hour or so.

No comments: