Monday, October 15, 2007

A friend has a daughter that has moved to a commune. It looks on the website to be a christian commune, and really not much about it raised any concerns for me. In fact, I thought I would enjoy living there but my husband would go nuts. He needs alone time to function. I guess the part that bothered me is that we are to live in the world. It has the feel of a monastery or convent, but allowing families. People that see them living that way must just think, "Stay away from them. They are a cult or a bunch of loonies." I can't imagine that it has helped spread Christianity in their part of the world. -------- I have been paying a little attention to the plight of immigrants in our country. I recently heard a story about a high school senior that isn't a citizen. His parents brought him here illegally when he was 4 years old. Now he has been brought up in the USA, but can't partake as a citizen. Certainly at 4 years of age he had no say in the matter. He has a younger brother that was born here a couple of years ago. The brother will be afforded all of the privileges of citizenship; just doesn't seem fair. Then I heard another story about a man who came here illegally about 15 years ago. His 3 children were born here and all are citizens. He is afraid he will be sent back to Mexico if he is caught driving, but he doesn't want to lose his kids or take them back to Mexico with him. It certainly would be a difficult decision. I don't have an answer.

No comments: