Sunday, October 21, 2007

I asked God to come into our presence in a special way today at church. I had no idea that the service was to focus on the presence of God. The song leader asked us, "What would you say if I said God is here in our presence?" It seemed so silly to me, because of course God was there. He had been invited. Then while we were singing an old hymn, the words struck hard at me. "Though the darkness hide Thee..." I couldn't get past that. There is an older gentleman in our congregation that has a wife who is going blind, in fact has gone blind except for seeing light and dark. She was the one who was forced to my mind. It seemed imperative that I pray for her. That even though she may be in the darkness, God has not hidden Himself from her. I was so overcome I had to leave the room. It seemed that I was to pray for her and her husband. While I was praying with all of my being, it just didn't seem to be enough. "Everyone needs to pray," I kept thinking. So I wrote a note to one of the elders and asked him to pray for her. Perhaps God coming into our presence today was for the benefit of Betsy. To hear us beg of Him on her behalf may just be what she needed and what God was listening for. Whatever comes of it, I know God was there and listening. And I was worn out; wrestling in prayer, even for a short time, is exhausting.

No comments: