Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Is there a difference between honesty and truth? Can I be honest and not quite truthful? If a woman asks me how I like her dress and my response is that's a great color on her- which it is- then have I been dishonest in neglecting to tell her that it is too tight on the hips? I was reading about honesty this morning to prepare for my discussion group tomorrow. The chapter was on honesty and describing how dishonest most Americans are. But I came up with some situations like the one I just described that I am unsure about. Yes, God has commanded us to be truthful in all we do and say, but is holding back to save someone's feelings ok? What if it is more than just a dress? What if it were about an action someone took, that now no longer matters, but might change the way you think of someone? For instance what if someone did something terrible, like sell drugs, but no longer is dealing. Would it be dishonest not to discuss that when you are meeting her parents? Is there some truth that is ok to hold back for just certain people? I am coming to the conclusion that honesty and truthfulness might be situational. But I don't want to tell my kids that just yet!

No comments: