Thursday, November 19, 2009

Art?

After my parents left, we headed to Durham to Duke University to visit an exhibit on Picasso in Africa. We went with our geography club since we had studied Africa this fall. I have to say, "I just don't get Picasso." We had a nice tour, and the guide was helpful with historical information, but really? At one point she said there was a newspaper in the picture. I thought the "newspaper" was a skyscraper. Why would anyone pay that much money for a painting that you are unsure of its contents? I did see some "normal" artwork of Picasso's, so I know he did have some artistic talent. Perhaps that is why people gave him the benefit of the doubt, but he still wouldn't have gotten any of my money. My own boys have been attending art classes at the local university. They have been there for several years, and this year they moved up to the older grades' class. They aren't as happy about it as they used to be. I think this class is demanding more technique than creativity. One evening #2 was downright angry. "That teacher took my paper and drew on it! Now it isn't even my picture anymore!!" I tried to explain what the teacher was most likely trying to do, but he would have none of it. I suppose that is what Picasso felt like.

No comments: