Sunday, November 15, 2009

Work

While my parents were here, I took advantage of my father's butchering expertise. 5 chickens down and 12 quarts canned chicken!! I can't eat regular chicken, so this means I can have chicken at least once a month for the next year. I am asking for an incubator for Christmas, so maybe I will get to eat it more often then. I also canned more salsa for #2. His tomatoes did really well this year. We picked the last of them while Mom and Dad were here. We got 9 half pints of salsa and 4 quarts of spicy tomatoe sauce.
Our mimosa tree died this year, so I asked Dad to bring down his chainsaw. He cut it up, and everyone pulled it down at the end. You can see #2 yelling at me to move as I took the picture. It certainly did come down close to me. The boys were excited to pull the large pieces with the lawn mower. We should have lots of wood for the camp fires this year.
Mom and Dad left Tuesday morning just before all of the rain hit NC. It rained for the next 4 days!! The Bradford Pear tree in the front yard had been splitting, so Dad and Hubby put a chain around it to keep it from splitting more. Alas, it wasn't enough. During one of the storms, the wind and rain proved to be too much. The tree split and fell across the yard. It landed just short of the road, so we were able to wait until the rain stopped to take care of it. A friend is coming today to help chop it up. This is the view from the front porch.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: