Saturday, February 13, 2010

Lessons for the Teacher-Student

4 inches of snow have fallen on our little farmette. Last night we went outside about 8:30 to unload animal feed, and there was no precipitation then. I went to bed at 10:30 and would guess there was an inch then. It was coming down fast. #2's Best Buddy is over now and they are throwing snowballs fast and furious. Writing class was interesting Thursday. Home schoolers often get chided for not having enough "socialization" opportunities for the children. I have NEVER found that to be true for my family, but I guess there have been a few families that have caused me concern. I have to say though that they are few and far between, definitely not the norm. But what I have noticed about this writing class is that the kids have profited from knowing that others struggle as well. I had hoped that would be the case, and was my initiative in starting the class. Thursday one of the students was complaining about the amount of work he had to do and there was just no way he could get it all done and he was dumb, dumb, dumb...on it went. That was when #1 stepped in and said, "You're not dumb, so suck it up and get your work done." Wow. I wish I had recorded it so I could play it back to him when I hear the same words come out of his mouth! I suppose the same holds true for myself. I have enjoyed the great flexibility of this online class, but it has made me feel a bit isolated. When other students finally put their two cents worth online I feel better. It seems that I am not the only one struggling with the class and concepts. Having that connection to people definitely changes my attitude. I will have to remember that for my boys.

No comments: