Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Fair Time, Part 2

I grew up going to the county fair. I remember horse barns and hay bales, washing and currying cow tails into big balls of hairsprayed stiffness, eating at the Shriner's Pizza Booth, and riding rides. I remember leather bracelets burned with my name and a horse picture, demolition derbies, and concerts on the side of a hill. I remember cookies placed in the exhibit hall, free water to drink, and tractor and horse pulls. I remember beauty pageants, game guys calling for customers, and seeing lots of friends. I loved the fair.
So imagine my disappointment when #1 emphatically asked not to go to the fair this year. I tried getting him to ask a friend, but it was pretty hopeless. I think he was burning out on play practice and 4H responsibilities, but I thought a night off with friends and fair fun were just what he needed. So I made him go.
The boys, of course, headed off on their own and soon found some friends to hang with. They bought a wristband so they could ride whatever they wanted, and then we rarely saw them again. Hubby and I enjoyed some time wandering alone and looking at the sights. Above was a one man band playing guitar, harmonica, and drums. The drums and cymbals are on his back and he had strings tied to his legs to make them do his bidding. He actually was pretty good, but his voice wasn't so hot.
Hubby HAS to have funnel cakes whenever we go to the fair. Notice the line to get one. I guess he isn't the only funnel cake lover in town!

We did come across #1 watching a puppet show with his friends. He was eating pizza and taking a break. I snapped this picture because he looked like he was in jail, which was the way he made me feel when I told him he had to go to the fair. What a mean mother he has!

Above is one of our 4H kids showing her goat. She didn't place, but she looked like she was having a good time. I remember showing lambs when I was young. I did not put the time and care into the raising or training, so I didn't do well. That wasn't the case with this girl though.
Below you see what treat I want at the county fair-- Cotton Candy! I shared some with my boys when we came home, but that bag lasted me three days. We also ate dinner at the Law Enforcement Booth to help support them.

The boys entered cupcakes and both placed second. #1 made chocolate with autumn decorations and #2 made white with honey, coconut, pecan icing. I think they each won $3 for that. That was their admission price the night we went, so I guess it paid off.

You see #2 is like his mother. He needed cotton candy too! He found several friends and they managed to have a good time. Here they are waiting for the pig races to begin. They raced regular pigs, potbelly pigs, goats, and ducks. Just the kind of fun the doctor ordered!

I caught #2 on the ferris wheel with his buddies. We stayed until about 10:00 PM.
So how did this prison sentence end? #1 happily told me that he had a good time, and I even got a hug when we got back home!!! Sometimes mothers do know best.

No comments: