Monday, October 08, 2012

Yorktown

 While my parents enjoyed a day at the beach, my family and I went to visit Yorktown. The boys and I actually had heard, and would hear, a lot about the town and the battle in our history lectures. It was helpful to see what the lecturer was talking about, and I have an idea of what it may have been like now. Looking through this tree to the opposite shore lets me understand that the site Cornwallis chose was not good because it was so easy for the French to trot their boats out and scare the boogy out of the English. Of course, Cornwallis thought he had aready scared the French away and that the English were on their way; oh for a good current time satellite image.
 This statue was placed in town years later in commemoration of those who fought in the battle. It was dedicated to Liberty, and in 1942 (? if I remember correctly) lightning struck it and knocked the head off of "Liberty". I thought perhaps God was saying, "Wake up and look around! There are people dying in this world and you are hiding your head. What happened to Liberty?"
 We walked from the National Park over to the town of Yorktown. It was kind of sunny and humid, so we expired about when we go to the statue. Shade was a pleasant blessing, as was the Ben and Jerry's ice cream store in town. Of course, I was told not to look at the prices and just to order what I wanted. We had saved money again by picnicking, and so I took this in stride- and didn't look.


 At the museum and reenactment center the boys were chosen to help fire the cannon.
 Imagine both of my boys being old enough to go fight for the new country-- and commit treason!


 And that was the end of our vacation field trip. We have one more field trip for history- Richmond, VA and the White House of the Confederacy. I had planned on that for Novemebr, but with the play in full swing, and a Biology field trip planned for after the play, it may have to wait until January.

No comments: