Friday, February 08, 2013

Can You See?

I decided in January that for my birthday I would like to try contacts again. I have worn the same glasses for 5-6 years, and I haven't worn contacts all that time. I had been giving my eyes a break. When we moved here I developed some allergy that would make my eyes burn and water in the evenings. Wearing contacts became very difficult, but in the last year or so the allergy has diminished, and I thought it might be time to try contacts again.
At the same time, my eyes have been changing, or else my arms have been shrinking. So I thought I would need bifocals. I actually had been given a prescription for bifocals the last two years, but the doc said it was such a low prescription he didn't think it was actually necessary. So being the miserly person that I am, I didn't change the glasses.
Move ahead to January 2013. I am now 43 years old. It is certainly time, or so I thought. The doc tried me with contacts, and we are still trying out prescriptions! It seems that I do not need bifocals, but need to lessen the strength of my prescription. I was overcorrected and that was why I couldn't see. It wasn't the doctor's fault that I was overcorrected; my eyesight has improved in the last year or so.
So here I am on the third contact prescription, and I think we might finally have it right. I can see to read, cook, clean, etc. without reading glasses, so I am excited to be able to see again.
Funny that this should happen as I am feeling a new insight into God and what He is doing in my life. I feel like the guy that asked Jesus for sight and it took two tries to get full sight. Just as my doctor is slowly pulling my eyes into alignment with my brain so that all looks clear, God is pulling my spiritual eyes into alignment with His will, and it is becoming clearer week by week. Perhaps in 43 more years I will be able to see clearly without any help!

No comments: