Sunday, February 03, 2013

January Spring Peepers?

The weather has been so crazy here lately that the spring peepers have made an extra early appearance. I have often heard them about mid-February, but I don't think I have ever heard them in January!! Now that I am out in the evenings walking the dog, I have noticed the loud chirrups of the tiny frogs calling to one another. The dog doesn't seem to notice. He is much more concerned about the rabbits he scents.
Then, have you heard?, Punxatawney Phil did not see his shadow yesterday. So it seems the frogs are right. Spring will be early this year. I know that if you base spring's arrival on the ability of students and teachers to concentrate, it is definitely spring around here already.
I started counting down the days about a week ago. I do enjoy school and being with my boys and even their friends, but I am sooo ready for it to be over. I have heard of moms burning out on home schooling and I am wondering if that is my problem. I certainly feel drained.
Anyway, I finished my book for good last Wednesday. I have sent it to two people to read, and I will be looking for agents this week. Pray for a quick agent search and speedy sale to a publisher. #2's teeth are in need of repair!
Some of you are probably wondering about the dog. Thursday a week ago I had a very serious talk with the family about Captain. He was on my very last centimeter of a nerve, and I needed him to go away. The weather was changing and perhaps it can be accredited to that, but he has been fairly well-behaved since. Perhaps he was just having some spring fever himself. Anyway, I am pretty sure he is with us to stay. I asked God to remind me of all of the bad things Kelly did and all of the joy she also brought us. I am sure Captain will do the same. I know #2 is definitely in love with the little guy. I think Captain will be the friend that he needs to get him through the next year or so of forgetful teenagerhood.
So it seems we are all still here, though wishing spring were farther along so we could take a break. Maybe I will just walk the dog more often; it will be good for all of us.

No comments: