Wednesday, February 20, 2013

I Remember Teenhood

I really do remember a lot about my teen years. I remember the trouble I got into, the control issues I had, and the frustration at not being independent. What I do not remember is school. I remember very few of my high school classes and teachers. I guess social life was much more important. Go figure.

Anyway, I try to raise my children based on my memories, but if I don't have any memories, it makes it kind of hard. One of my children is not a studier. I also do not remember being a studier, but I know I graduated high in my class, so I must have done alright. My non-studying child does what he considers to be alright, but not what I consider acceptable.

Therein lies the dilemma. I could tell him until he gets certain grades his life is over, but I know (remember) how I would have responded to that when I was his age. But if I don't tell him that, then he will not get the scholarships needed to get him through school without a BUNCH of debt.

So I told him. It didn't go well. Now I wait until he calms down- and I calm down- to broach the subject again. God grant me wisdom with words.

No comments: