Sunday, September 13, 2009

Restoration or Reformation

I was raised in a Restoration Movement church. That means the basis of the beliefs for the church come from a desire to restore the church that Christ instituted. My husband went to a Reformation Movement seminary for one of his degrees. There most of my friends were Reformationists. That means they are part of the movement to change what the church became to what it once was. Basically, both are a lot of wordage for, "Let's get back to what Christ intended." Today at church I had the feeling that our congregation is well on the way to being what Christ would approve. (I know pride goeth before a fall, so I hope this is being said in the humblest of ways!) Singing was led by a local company's VP, communion thoughts by a come to Christ later in life white man, prayer led by a born and raised CoC black man, communion served by a convicted criminal, a white, PhD female, and a young, white, high school graduate. One of the working class elders announced that a single, half-Korean woman was approved to adopt a child. A divorced woman in her fifties and a teen-aged girl read the Scriptures. My Dr. Husband gave the sermon. I sat next to people with no education and with PhDs. There were traditional families and single parent families. There were criminals present, and straight-laced goody-two-shoes. There were people who have experienced abuse, and those who have lead an easy life. People from all backgrounds of religion, culture, and economic status were present. The only thing that we could truly have said that made these people come together was a need to worship the one who saved them all from Hell. Christ. I hope you were honored and pleased, Lord.

No comments: