Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Co-op

Our home school group does something called "co-op" that allows our children to take classes with other home schooled children. The parents offer to teach classes, and the children get to choose which classes they are interested in. There are martial arts classes, art, phys. ed., cooking, writing, math, science, whatever a parent feels capable of teaching. One of the mothers in our group moved here from Nevada, and they had done something similar there. She wanted to be able to do it here, so she started it. That's what I like. A person who can have an idea and then implement it. But her daughter grew up, and now she isn't able to do co-op. She has other commitments. So this woman, who has been asking me to help her for a couple of years, decided that I must have answered yes. Now, somehow, I find myself in charge of this behemoth. There are about 100 kids involved, and it seems, nearly as many parents. I have always taught and helped out in general ways, but this year I am the LEADER. I told my friend that I wasn't nice enough to do such a thing, but she didn't believe me. Now the truth is starting to show. I don't deal well with idiots. I have room for people who don't know better. I have grace for those who make mistakes. But I do not have patience with grown people who need me to walk every step of the way with them and hold their hands. There I said it. I am not nice enough. So that explains why I haven't been posting for a while. I am busy tring to handhold adults while educating my own children. Sound a little irritated, don't I? ------------- Today is a much smaller co-op that I organize every fall with a few families. We study geography, and this year it is Africa. Last week I gave a presentation on Africa, and then each kid gave a presentation on a physical trait of Africa. Then we shared a food from our different areas. This week my boys will share presentations on Egypt and the Canary Islands. So last night, as I tried to write, clean, take care of co-op, etc., I was also making chocolate banana sponge roll from the Canary Islands. Now this morning I am making flat bread to make the fast food of Egypt- shawerma. I bought the meat at a restaurant. I'm not a complete fool.

No comments: