Friday, December 04, 2009

Hey, Shrimp!

I was working at the women's shelter this evening. I take dinner about once a month with other women from church. This evening I was on my own, since the other helper was busy, and I decided to take a very colorful meal. We had cooked honey carrots, emerald rice (white rice with spinach), lemon Jello with fruit on top in many colors, and pink shrimp. Yes, I took shrimp. It was on sale this week at the market, and I knew there weren't a lot of families there this week, so I thought I would take a treat. The only people there are Hispanic, and they don't speak much English at all. One mother saw dinner and yelled something like "Comodore!" Then the other mom yelled it. Then all the kids started screaming, "Comodore! Comodore! Comodore!" They were obviously very excited about something. When I left, I called Hubby and asked him to look in the Spanish dictionary for shrimp. Sure enough, it is similar to comodore...comoron. So I guess shrimp is a treat in any culture. I'm glad they enjoyed it. ------------ Tomorrow morning we will rise bright and early to go on a field trip. I scored the last five tickets on the 9:15 trip through a National Wildlife Refuge that is only open to the public one day a year. I am taking #2, his best bud, and a kid from the Envirothon team and his mom. This is an area of huge bird migration, so we should see thousands of birds! Eat your heart out, Father-in-Law!

No comments: