Wednesday, December 02, 2009

Running and Sleeping

Monday evening, before going to bed, #1 came into the kitchen and asked our plans for the next day. I told him it would be a busy day with volunteering at Give 2 the Troops, errands to run, and Guys' Night Out. He said, "I've really enjoyed not having to go anywhere the last week, but I'm glad we have somewhere to go tomorrow." That's the way he is; he needs a lot of down time, but once he has had enough, he loves to socialize. We left early in the morning so we could buy the boy a pair of sneakers before he had to walk/stand all day. He had a size 9 pair that he had started avoiding putting on completely. When I saw how he was wearing his shoes I asked if they did not fit. He said, "Well they fit, but my toe pushes against the top." I guess he needs a lesson on how shoes should properly fit. So we bought size 10 shoes, with Velcro straps, and he looks like a big boat cruising around my house. Or a bull in a china closet. He still hasn't grown into his body. The boys also had dental appointments yesterday. #1 gets a lot of plaque build up and needed a good cleaning. #2 has me concerned with his lack of tooth loss. He is about to turn 11 and has only lost 6 teeth. I talked to the dentist about it again, and he is beginning to get concerned. We go back in 6 months and have x-rays done. The dentist talked to me and showed me diagrams, saying that #2 is still within the average, but he is really pushing it and does appear to be running late. In fact, he said, #2 will always be late. He didn't know how true that statement was. That boy was born late, and had to be coaxed out at that. He never gets in a hurry to go anywhere. #2 is looking a lot better. These bouts with poison ivy let me see how concerned he is with looks. When he is in the puffy, swollen stage, he doesn't want to go anywhere or have friends over. He didn't want to go to Youth because he was afraid the kids would laugh at him. He looked in the mirror before church and said, "I look terrible. I don't think I should go to church." He likes to dress nicely, and takes better care of his appearance than his brother. We still haven't gotten him to realize the need for a shower more often, but I guess he will get there in a couple of years when he begins to stink. Right now, the conversations go like this: Parent: "When is the last time you took a shower?" #2: "I can't remember." Parent: "If you can't remember, then it has been too long." I was sleeping on the couch for a couple of nights while I have had this cold. Sunday night I slept sitting up so that I could breathe. Monday night I was excited to be able to lie down, but stayed on the couch so that I wouldn't bother Hubby with my coughing. That night #2 came down and slept on the loveseat. He wasn't feeling well due to the Prednisone he is on, and wanted to be with me. Last night he tried again to be with me. I told him he had to be in his own bed, but I allowed a lamp to be on. I went upstairs to turn out the lamp before I went to my own bed, and he was still awake. I laid down with him and snuggled and chatted a while. #1 came in and looked at us and huffed before leaving. A few minutes later, he came back and then left again. Finally, the third time he came in and jumped on the bed. "Can I join you too?" He couldn't stand being left out of the chatty, snuggly time. I love being able to have those times with my boys. Sweet memories.

No comments: