Thursday, December 31, 2009

Blessings On Your Head

I woke this morning thinking the same thing all of you were thinking, "This is it. Another year gone by. What was important, meaningful, unforgettable?" I had several events immediately spring to mind...#2's baptism, our trip out west, twenty years of marriage, 4-H accomplishments, remodeling the house, and on it went. Then I started thinking about other friends who haven't had such a wonderful year. I have three friends who have dealt with suicidal children this year, friends whose marriage has been rocked, a friend with a child in and out of jail, a sister-in-law who dealt with cancer, friends whose jobs have been cut back or lost, another whose father's health has failed dramatically, a friend whose child was born with a terrible birth defect. Then I thought of stories that I have recently read...a six year old child died on Christmas Eve in his sleep, another family lost their baby to SIDS this year, and then had their house broken into and all of the pictures of their baby lost. What makes my life so much easier than others' lives I do not know. I certainly feel blessed by God that I have such a good life. I know from helping at the shelter that my life is easier because I was raised by Christian parents from strong moral backgrounds. My husband was raised the same way. That makes a difference in the choices we make. But there are other things that are just chance...cancer, dying children...these are the things of Life. So as I consider the end of the year, I remember three Scriptures that mean a lot to my insignificant self."Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter anything before God. God is in Heaven and you are on Earth, so let your words be few." Ecc 5:2 "Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands..." 1 Thess 4:11 And finally, "And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God." Micah 6:8 Be quiet at the throne of God, mind your own business, and be just and merciful with humility. May 2010 bring with it wisdom to see the blessings among the curses, for truly, Life Is Good.

No comments: