Friday, March 19, 2010

I need a cruise

I told my boys today that they have taken all of the fun out of being their mother. It used to be a joy to be their mom, but lately I have only felt like a referee. #1 headed to a youth retreat with other 4-Hers this afternoon. #2 is having friends over for the first campout of the season. I am glad they will be separated for a while. Perhaps by Monday they will enjoy each other's company again. After I picked up #1 from practice last night, the boys and I went to dinner at Golden Corral and then ran errands. We were able to find some good die-cuts at the university library to use for their history projects. We have worked on that this afternoon, and I am worn out. At dinner, #1 says, "Well it happened; and it had to happen now." What? "My voice is starting to crack. And it cracked right in the middle of a line. I thought to myself, 'Oh man, does it have to happen now?'". He is right. I heard it crack Wednesday evening. None too soon in this mother's opinion. He is a bit of a squealer when he does sound effects, which boys do constantly. #2 went into the grocery store with me while we were out. I asked him to go get a gallon of orange juice while I looked at something else. He came back with two gallons. Do you really think we need TWO gallons? "Well we drink a lot of juice and this way when we run out we will have more ready." He also thought we needed another bunch of bananas because it was a good price. I swear he was about to pick up a third bunch when I told him "No!" It was like shopping with my father-in-law or my husband. I guess it is genetic. Coming back from running errands #1 asked if the Normans are Christians. "Normans? Well they were French conquerors, but I suppose they could have been Christians. I think you mean Mormons." Yes that was what he meant. So I gave him a short history of the Mormons, Joseph Campbell, and Brigham Young University. We came up with yes they are Christians, but they have some other beliefs than just the Bible. "Oh. They're like Baptists," he responded. I managed not to laugh. That would be a big no-no to say around this town! So they are good for a few laughs. Maybe I need to keep writing to remind myself that I do want to be their Mommy.

No comments: