Tuesday, October 26, 2010

BP in DC

It was lovely in DC this past weekend. I promise to download pictures this week. I really didn't take a lot of pictures. I find that I don't now that my kids are bigger. I used to be the Picture Queen, but it just doesn't seem as important as it once did. Now I enjoy the moment and hope it lives in my memory well. There were 9 kids and 6 adults. Hubby did not get to go, and neither did another father. We managed to get tickets to the Washington Monument for all of us. We also saw many museums and took a tour of the Capitol. Now for the bad news. Last week I started having an awful taste in my mouth. It was so disgusting that I wouldn't eat or drink. After two days of that Hubby and I decided I better go to the doctor because I couldn't go to DC and pass out from dehydration. The doc was concerned that it might have been a small stroke and scheduled me for a CT scan as well as doing some blood work ups. I went on to DC. On Friday the doctor called and said all of the blood work came back fine and the scan was scheduled for Monday. By Friday evening at dinner I couldn't close my right eye or move the right side of my mouth. I had a friend with me who is a nurse, and we both believed it was Bell's Palsy. We decided to go on with the trip and if anything out of the ordinary (beside what was already going on) were to happen, they would take me to a hospital. By Saturday evening I could close my eye if I thought about it really hard. So I felt like that was an improvement, but I asked one of my friends to drive for me. The lack of blinking is irritating and makes my eye water and blur. Monday I called the doc and got right in. I was right...Bell's Palsy. When I got back from the doc's #2 met me at the door. "What's wrong?" "Bell's Palsy." "So you had to pay to learn something you already knew, huh?" Yep. I should have been a doctor. The CT scan was cancelled since it didn't appear to be a stroke. I saw my podiatrist in the afternoon and he explained BP as unplugging an appliance. It still works, it just isn't plugged in right now. He also referred me to a rheumatologist since I am still having aches and pains along with exhaustion that is not my thyroid. Anyway, I have been on the couch most of yesterday and today just trying to rest. My eye isn't doing well with computers and books, so mostly I rest. That is probably the best medicine anyway. I told the boys they have the week off of school, except for Thursday classes, and hopefully I will be much improved by next week. The doctor said it can last two weeks to two months, but since I am young it will probably not last the months time period. It was nice to have a doctor think of me as young for a change.

No comments: