Sunday, October 03, 2010

Busy

I seem to have disappeared from the cyber world. I am having trouble keeping up with everything. We had a lovely visit from the grandparents this last week, and I wouldn't give up those visits for anything, but they do mean that the schedule goes a bit wonky as my Scottish friend says. #2 is doing a 4H project this fall on his family history. One of the assignments was to make a photo collage of things around the house that show his family history. He took a picture of this trunk that belonged to his great-great grandfather. The grandfather signed the trunk, so the picture is of his signature. It was good to have the grandparents here to help with part of that project. We discovered that green eyes and curly hair are very dominant on his father's side of the family. #2 has always wanted to grow an afro with his blond hair. Yesterday, though, he was trying to get me to put his hair in a stocking and pull pieces through. He wants to look like he is part bald for Halloween. From afros one year to balding the next, that boy keeps me on my toes. More big news about #2, he lost a tooth yesterday!!! It is in the front on the left side. It is one of the places with no adult tooth to come in behind, so it was actually being pushed out by the wrong tooth. That is his first lost tooth in nearly 4 years! He was asking me about the tooth fairy last night and locked his door to see what would happen. Well, the tooth fairy made it in with a dollar, but she left the tooth behind. He thought that was odd, but is hoping to try again tonight. Here is another reason I haven't written in a while. This was our backyard and grape arbor on Thursday. I took it through the windshield, so it isn't clear, but the depth of water is certainly clear. The road in front of our house was flooded and had about a half lane open for part of the time. Schools closed for a day and had late start the next. Our internet service was messed up for several days and access was spotty.
This is the dog. When I leave my room in the morning, this is often what I see. She lays at the bottom of the stairs to catch the air conditioning as it flows down the stairs. Why she puts her head against the wall I will never know.
This cutey is in our Geography Club. We were studying Oceania for a couple of weeks and had a Balinese dinner one day. It was quite tasty...rice, chicken, pineapple, onions, crunchy noodles, and more.
And this was the dessert. #1 had New Zealand that day and we took Pavlova. It is a meringue cake filled with whipped cream and fruit. It was really quite easy and the kids loved it. I will likely make it again sometime. If you are in New Zealand this is the type of cake you get for your birthday.
Geography Club wrapped up last week. That means one less thing to do on Tuesdays. As #1 said, "That should make things a little better." Except that he got a part in the play and has practice several evenings a week until mid-November. With the play, Student Gov't Association, Envirothon field trips, and 4H I can't guarantee any more frequent posts, but I am hopeful. Living in a fantasy world, but hopeful.

No comments: