Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Quiet

Autumn fog shrouds the morning sun in Eastern Carolina. It is a delightfully sleepy morning as I watch the chickens race outside in the yard. #1 just came down to read the paper and have breakfast. He grinned when he saw the weather, "Looks like rain!" That boy loves a rainy day. The birch started balding last night. Leaves litter the side yard and warn me that winter is coming. I put away my summer clothes yesterday, knowing that the forecast said it was the last of the really warm days. I like summer better than winter, but snuggling up on the couch now with a soft blanket and a quiet house, I have to admit that there are some winter qualities that excite me. A slower pace, a time to turn inward and ponder, a chance to quietly enjoy my family...This is my happiness. Bring it on Winter, but bring it at about 65 degrees, please.

No comments: