Friday, January 14, 2011

iPods and Brownies

My children bought iPods with their Christmas money. This was against their mother's better judgment, but their father sided with them. I suppose I understand that they want to be part of their friends' culture, but I had hoped we could wait longer. My rule had been no electronics- other than tv- until they are 15. Today I had to crack down on them and the iPods found their way to the top of my chest of drawers. It seems texting friends and playing games ranks higher than school work. The new rule is iPods go in my room during school hours. I have listened to my friends talk about these disciplinary actions, but I was exempt from the stories since there was nothing to take away. I don't like being part of this club. Tonight the kids are having a "hang-out" at our house. There are about 15 of them in the living room now watching a movie. They are watching those crazy 1950's B movies. Currently it is "Attack of the Crab Monsters". I think they will play some games later and probably watch some other movies. I like having lots of kids over to play and visit. The Envirothon team was here this afternoon studying about soils. Halfway through our meeting they asked, "Mrs. Angel, did you make brownies?" I hadn't, so the question changed to, "Mrs. Angel, are you going to make brownies?" They really like my brownies. I told them to come back tonight for some. Instead I made cookies, which are as good as my brownies. The house smells divine. BTW, I used a new egg in the cookies. I love January 10!

No comments: