Saturday, January 01, 2011

2010: Good or Bad?

Last night Hubby and I went on a real grown up date. Red Lobster and a movie that let out at midnight! I don't think in all of our 21 years of marriage we have dated that late at night, with good reason; I fall asleep!! During dinner we were discussing the past year, and we decided it was a pretty lousy year. I didn't get in the grad program I was trying for, my child broke his head, financially things went kablooey, my health deteriorated and I ended up with Bell's Palsy, the shed roof leaks, the goats aren't selling, and on and on. There were a few highlights. My Envirothon team went to State competition, #1 was in two plays, Hubby was able to teach at college. We saw family on a few occasions and enjoyed more quiet times with each other. This morning when I awoke to a new year, I found myself hoping it will be a better one. Then my perspective changed. I thought about all of those bad things and how each was accompanied by the presence of God. I thought of how He had placed friends where I needed them at just the right times. I thought of how blessed by God we are that the health problems have turned out to be ok, that the finances are still flowing, the kids have what they need and are beginning to thrive again, and on it went. I arose from bed to see my home enfolded in a blanket of fog barely able to see the structures or road around me. As I sipped my peppermint tea the fog began to dissipate. I can now clearly see the barn, the neighbor, the road to town. I guess last night we were in a fog of memory, remembering parts of situations, but not the whole. This morning the fog evaporated and left me with the realization that no matter what this new year brings, good or bad, God will be there providing just what I need when I need it. Now how can that be a bad year?

No comments: