Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Don't Try This at Home

One evening last week I was in the mood for some popcorn. I like fresh popped corn the best, not so much the fresh popped microwave ready corn. I didn't feel like getting out the pan and oil, so I thought I would pop some in a bag in the microwave. I have done it many times before. You put 1/3 cup of kernels in a brown paper lunch bag, spray it with oil (non-stick spray) if you like, fold the top a couple of times, pop it in the microwave like you would microwave brands, and pop. My problem was that I was out of paper bags. I thought why not skip a step and pop it in the bowl. Then I can just go straight to eating it. I put the corn in the glass Pyrex bowl with a little oil, covered it with a cloth, and put it in the microwave. After the normal 2:10 time the corn had just started to pop. So I put it in for a couple minutes more thinking that perhaps the bowl held some heat and this way may take longer. I started smelling smoke and thought I must be burning the popcorn. I stopped the microwave and opened it up. The towel was catching on fire and smoldering. I took the bowl out with hot pads and placed it on the counter. Suddenly the bowl exploded. Well that was the end of my popcorn craving. I went in the livingroom to watch The Waltons without my popcorn fix, leaving the mess on the counter to cool. A little while later I heard #2 in the kitchen, "Oh! You made popcorn!" Crunch, crunch. "Don't eat the popcorn! It might have glass in it!!" "Should I spit it out?" One wonders how he got to be so smart.

1 comment:

anne conover said...

http://www.popcornpopper.com/stovetop-poppers.html?gclid=CN3LiMnc56cCFYFM4Aod6R9wcQ. You need one of these. We love the popcorn this makes. We don't eat microwave popcorn due to all the chemicals. And you don't even need to wash it after you use it - you season it by just wiping it out with a paper towel.