Sunday, August 21, 2011

Chiggers

I enjoyed my walk yesterday listening to the sounds of the insect world, but there is one sound I don't care for; "Mom! I ITCH!!" #2 unknowingly discovered chiggers Thursday. He went to visit a friend, and they went into the woods to play paintball. Evidently the wood is infested with chiggers, tiny red bugs that make you itch like nothing else.
He woke up scratching early Friday morning. When I found him a few hours later, he was covered in bites from head to toe. We have treated him with Chiggerex, and he is putting cold packs on the worst areas. He is also taking Benadryl around the clock.
I told him this lasts about a week, and then it clears up. But that is just a ruse. The blamed things will "come back to life" a week or so after that! Chiggers are a nasty business.
I co-taught a Study Skills Seminar last week for the homeschoolers. #2 participated, though Friday was difficult for him to sit through. One of the activities was to fill out a career inventory to see what things interest the children. Then they can think about that as they make high school schedules and plans.
Of course #2 came up with Agriculture and Natural Resources as his interest area. I hope he finds something in a dry area with little in the way of poison ivy and/or chiggers!

No comments: