Thursday, August 04, 2011

Sweltering Waiting

I couldn't decide how to title this post, so I went with both words. Our downstairs air conditioning unit wasn't "keeping up" through this heat wave. Finally, Hubby said he didn't think it was about keeping up but about doing anything at all, so he turned it off. I guess he was right, because it didn't get much hotter afterward. But now we have been without the downstairs unit for over a week, I think, and the inside of the house isn't cool at all anymore.
I called the repairman this morning and he hopes to be here today. Not as much as we hope he is here! Hubby and I haven't slept well for a long time because it is so hot and muggy. Last night I was so tired I was shaking, but it was too hot to sleep.
I went out on the back porch for a while about 4:00 AM. It was nice out then. We didn't have air conditioning when I was growing up. Shoot, we didn't have air conditioning until we moved to Texas. The kids were born without ac in our Philly apartment. When I was a kid you opened the window and put in a fan.
Not that I am wishing for the old days. No Siree, I like the air conditioning, but there seems to be a connection between knowing your neighbor and sleeping with the windows open. None of our neighbors sleep with open windows as far as I can tell, and it has been difficult to get to know them.
Maybe a blackout would bring our neighborhood closer together.
On second thought, I doubt it. We would be too irritable from lack of sleep. Grrr!

No comments: