Saturday, August 20, 2011

Make a Joyful Noise

I left the doctor's office Monday with a big smile on my face. He told me I could do whatever I want- and then backtracked when he found out what I wanted to do- but the air cast was off and mostly can stay off now! I gave a "Yes!" and raised my arms in the air as I left. The other patients seemed to understand. That cast is HOT!
I was told not to walk for exercise for a week, but I finally had to venture out today. We had rain last night, and I just couldn't stay cooped up in here any longer.
The wet earth and cloudy sky made the sounds around me so much more distinct, and I enjoyed my quiet, slow, and yes, short walk. The songbirds were glad for a respite from the hot, dry weather, and a robin was calling to its mate from the woods behind the corn field. As I rounded the corner a hawk took off through the loblolly pine and shrieked its call through the sky above.
Locusts were scratching out their sounds to any who would listen, and the crickets and grasshoppers were chiming in with their own song of joy. Frogs of various breeds chirruped and croaked, happy to at last have a little puddle of water to relax in.
The rhythmic thump, thump of a horse scratching its leg with its teeth made me pause to listen to the lean beasts chomp the grass that greened up with the new rain. The dog whined as she rolled in the dirt to scratch the itchy fleas. Other insects made their presence known as butterflies floated above the wildflowers while a mosquito whined in my ear.
The air was heavy with humidity, but also with the smell of damp earth and newness of life. The fields were dark green speckled with yellow, purple, and fuschia color where weeds and wildflowers gained a grasp of the ground beneath them. It looked beautiful, smelled wonderful, but sounded divine.
The world was worshiping the Lord of Life, and I was a part of that small chorus of praise.

No comments: