Thursday, August 25, 2011

East Carolina Whales

Our co-op started again this week. I am teaching 3 classes this year. I hope I don't regret it! Overall I think it should be good. I am teaching Creative Writing for middle schoolers, which should be easy as long as I keep them busy. American Lit is the high school English class, and I have been reading most of the summer to prepare for it. The class time should mostly be discussing the books we read, and there is no research paper to grade, so I shouldn't have too much time tied up in grading.
The third class is Environmental Science, and it is for both high school and middle school. The objective for the class is to participate in Envirothon, so there wasn't too much of a reason to separate the grade levels. This week I mostly lectured; it should be mostly lab work in class the other times. While I lectured on Soils we got to the types of soil in NC. The middle of the state, called the Piedmont, is mostly clay and I asked what would that soil be good for. One boy piped up, "Whales."
Hmm. I don't know this kid, but he hadn't come across as stupid in the first 40 minutes of class, so I asked him to explain.
"The clay holds water real good, so that is good for whales."
Still not getting it, but then I tried picturing whales swimming around in the clay, and it hit me.
"Wells!?"
"Yes, whales."
Sometimes my ears are still too Yankee for this town.

No comments: