Friday, August 26, 2011

It's a Comin'!

I had the boys be sure to finish their schoolwork that requires the internet so that they don't have to worry if the power goes out for the weekend. The storm is predicted to go right through our town, and counties not far from us are evacuating low-lying portions. We have lived here 7 years, and this is our first BIG storm. We've had rain and minor flooding, but Irene seems to be causing a lot more commotion.
I was buying gas last night, the lines 3 deep at every station, and overheard a conversation. It seems the stores are not selling alcohol after a certain time because they don't want people drinking too much in case there is an evacuation. The things I never think of!
The university has been stressing to the students to "make good choices", meaning don't make parenthood one of your first subjects now that you are in college. The school is supposed to be quite safe and has trained for this sort of emergency, so I guess if something happens we will head that direction!
The thing that concerns me most is losing the roof. I don't think that there is anything else that I should be concerned about. Our house was not affected by the flooding in '99, and that is supposed to have been horrific.
We still need to push over the basketball goal post so it doesn't blow over and hit my van. I will put the goats in the chicken coop soon, since the rain is supposed to start "for real" in about an hour. The chickens are on their own and hopefully will decide to head for the coop, though right now they are hanging out under the rabbit hutch. They are soaked of course. And lastly I need to fill the tub with water. I thought that was to have water around for various reasons, but learned a bit ago that it is so you can flush the toilet.
The dog is staying nearby, and the boys have been reassured that if we have to leave we WILL take the dog with us. Sigh. Hubby's classes are cancelled for the weekend, propane for the camp stove is in the sunroom, and candles are on the counter. Sounds like a lovely weekend at home.

No comments: