Thursday, January 17, 2013

Devotions of a Gerbil

As I said yesterday, I believe I have finished my book about Kelly. You may find it odd that I have entitled it Devotions of a Gerbil, but when you read it you will understand. It is a devotional book intended to be read alone or in small groups. I reread some parts yesterday and surprised myself because I had forgotten some of what I wrote, and I found help in my own writings!
So now starts the agent search in earnest. Most agents need the book to be finished before they will even look at it or me. I have looked at a few agents, but now I need to start writing letters and sending the book manuscript out.
The real purpose behind this post though is not to tell you I finished the book, but to confess what a lousy person I am. One of my New Year's Resolutions is to write one day a week for two hours. I know it doesn't sound like much, but with the schedule I keep it is a lot of time. But how am I to make sure I keep the resolution? I need accountability.
So I told Hubby what I wanted and that he has to provide a punishment for me if I do not write. That, however, caused me some apprehension because how would he punish me and what if I wouldn't go along with it? So we discussed the punishment and decided that it will be that I have to believe what he tells me.
Sounds easy, huh? No way!! We were driving around town when we discussed this, and I made a comment about the old Circuit City sign being yellow. He told me it was red. I didn't believe him and continued to say yellow, until a memory flashed in my mind and I had to admit it MIGHT have been red.
Saturday when the guy took out our mailboxes, the state trooper came by to make a report of the accident. He said the guy's tires were bald and measured them with a guage. It just didn't sound right to me, not that I didn't believe him, but it just didn't seem to match up with what I was feeling with my fingers.
Long story short, the officer took offense at my disbelief and need to measure the tires myself. My need to know for myself and not take someone's word for it nearly got me a ticket!
So it seems that believing Hubby is a harsh punishment after all. I guess I will be getting a lot of writng done this year--- I can't have him being right all the time!

No comments: