Saturday, January 19, 2013

Stress: Puppy Lesson #1

Puppies cause stress. I had forgotten how much stress until last week. I was feeling overwhelmed and in need of a good cry, but couldn't figure out why. I wasn't behind in grading papers, the house wasn't a complete wreck, I wasn't hormonal, so what could the problem be? Then the mail came, and I started crying. The electric fence for the pup had arrived. Suddenly I knew why I was so emotional; the dog was causing me stress.
I would like to say that it got better instantly, but, alas, I cannot. The fence still didn't work correctly. I called the company again and this time they said it must be the receiver instead of the transmitter, and I would have to wait longer. Well it came this week- I paid extra to have it sent two day shipping!- and still it does not work right. I don't know if it is the metal barn next to us, the metal roof on the house, or the large water tower next to us on the other side, but whenever the dog has the collar on he may or may not get zapped, and it may or may not turn off. Poor dog. Poor Angel!!
So I guess the dog will have to live on a leash. He has escaped a few times in the last several days, and he is getting better at it. He chewed through one leash and is working hard on the metal chain. He has destroyed many things here in the house, and especially he has destroyed my peaceful way of life.
But through it all I keep telling myself he is only doing what God made him to do. He is energetic, ferociously alert to odors, and very hard headed and stubborn. All of those things make a great hunting dog, not so much a house dog. But he keeps on doing what he was made to do.
I could take a lesson from that pup. God made me to care for others, be a bright spot in a dark world, and to share the love of Christ. But sometimes I am an old dog instead of a young pup, and I don't do my job with much enthusiasm. I will try to re-energize myself this week.
---------
I am not the only one in our congregation feeling stress, and mine is minor compared to my friends'. We have had three families touched by death in less than a week, and now one is facing tests on a mass on her liver. At times like this I truly need to focus on my inner puppy and be the energetic servant that God made me to be.

No comments: