Thursday, May 24, 2007

I bought a series of books while we were on vacation. They are compiled writings of Laura Ingalls Wilder's magazine articles. She wrote for a few journals before she wrote her children's series. I read one while I was sick in bed last week, and I was surprised by how much the topics were things I still hear today. She spoke of taking care of the Earth and cleaning up litter, being a good friend, being a hard worker and honest, the busy-ness of life and how there just never seems to be enough time to get things done (even though there is just as much time to get things done as there was when you used to get things done), and that parents should be disciplining their children and not leaving it up to the state or the schools. I was really very surprised by how relevant and insightful her thoughts were. I plan to have my boys read the books when they get a little older. The problem is that I will have to black out the title: Writings for Young Women. There wasn't much that was only for young women in them, but I don't know if young men could get past the title.

1 comment:

C. said...

You can be surprised by the similarities of some of the book subjects and actual ones. Maybe here in the US it's like that.

But if you could compare the book with my country's society, you'd see enormous differences, for example, people works so many hours that schools educates the majority of children. There isn't good work environment, so chileans don't worry about their colleagues but themselves. I could spend all day telling you things about, in all aspects of life...

It's incredible, at least for me, how chilean and US society seeming so similar are so deeply different.

Good post. Have a nice week.