Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Today is Primary Day in NC. I actually voted early, as usual. I try to avoid the long lines, and the possibility that the actual voting day may get away from me and I will forget to vote. This is the first time that I actually get to vote for President...in my entire adult life! I know, I am so young. Actually, we have moved every year and didn't get registered in time to vote. I had thought when we moved here that I would get to vote for President, but we ended up moving before early voting in TX, but too late to register for NC. I could have figured out absentee voting I guess, but it wasn't important enough to me. So last week I went to vote in the Primary. I am unaffiliated, so I didn't expect to vote in the NC Primary. So I went in and they told me that I got to choose which ticket I wanted to vote on. So I chose one, thinking that only the presidential part would be different and the other parts would be unaffiliated choices. I started to vote when I realized that they had given me a straight ballot. So I took it back and told them that wasn't going to work for me and I wanted an unaffiliated ballot. I had to convince them that I realized that it meant I couldn't vote in the presidential primary. I said I couldn't vote for anyone on that ballot because I didn't know any of them and I hadn't researched them. I needed to vote unaffiliated because I had researched those people and knew whom I wanted to vote for. They were incredulous, even trying to explain the voting process to me, but I was adamant and voted unaffiliated. So I still haven't ever voted for a president, but November will get here before I know it...And I do not plan on moving before that!

No comments: