Monday, June 15, 2009

Sound Like Life

Got a call last night from an old friend’s wife Said I hate to bother you Johnny Ray fell off the wagon He’s been gone all afternoon I know my buddy so I drove to Skully’s And found him at the bar I say hey man, what’s going on He said I don’t know where to start Sarah’s old car’s about to fall apart And the washer quit last week We had to put momma in the nursing home And the baby’s cutting teeth I didn’t get much work this week And I got bills to pay I said I know this ain’t what you wanna hear But it’s what I’m gonna say (Chorus)Sounds like life to me it ain’t no fantasy It’s just a common case of everyday reality Man I know it’s tough but you gotta suck it up To hear you talk you’re caught up in some tragedy It sounds like life to me Well his face turned red and he shook his head He said you don’t understand Three kids and a wife depend on me And I’m just one man To top it off I just found out That Sarah’s 2 months late I said hey bartender set us up a round We need to celebrate (Chorus)Sounds like life to me plain old destiny Yeah the only thing for certain is uncertainty You gotta hold on tight just enjoy the ride Get used to all this unpredictability Sounds like life Man I know its tough but you gotta suck it up To hear you talk you’re caught up in some tragedy Sounds like life to me Sounds like life This reminds me a lot of the book of Ecclesiastes in the Old Testament. Listen to a couple of excerpts from chapters 2 and 5: A man can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in his work. This too, I see, is from the hand of God, for without him, who can eat or find enjoyment? To the man who pleases him, God gives wisdom, and knowledge, and happiness, but to the sinner he gives the task of gathering and storing up wealth to hand over to the one who pleases God. ...Then I realized that it is good and proper for a man to eat and drink, and to find satisfaction in his toilsome labor under the sun during the few days of life God has given him- for this is his lot. Moreover, when God gives any man wealth and possessions, and enables him to enjoy them, to accept his lot and be happy in his work- this is a gift of God. I am happy to say that God has given me that gift. I do enjoy my work and my life. ---------- The boys are at camp now, but I do have a funny conversation from the little bit of time they were here. I was talking about prom and girls wearing strapless dresses. The boys walked in and asked what was going on. I asked #1 what he thought of strapless dresses. He said he didn't care one way or the other, why? I said they are supposed to make you want to kiss on the girl. #2 says, "Right now that sounds disgusting, but in 5 years it will probably be delightful." I belly laughed on that one. I will have to remember to ask him if his first date is delightful. ------- Hubby and I took the free afternoon yesterday to watch the new movie, Up. It is a nice movie, great story, not for kids in my opinion, and I hated it. I cried through so much of it. I think it was hitting a little too close to home right now. It is about a man whose wife has died, and he fulfills a vow to her to go to South America and have an adventure. Lots of tears. It was very much a Sounds Like Life movie.

No comments: