Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Summer Fun

I was just rereading the last post, and found myself snickering. I ended by saying we were going to enjoy the last rays of summer...We went to a 4-H meeting today, and the program was to make posters about waterfowl. So yesterday was spent learning about waterfowl. Yes, we really know how to soak up that summer fun! The boys did go to a sleepover at a friend's house last night, so I don't guess it was all work and no play. The other part I wanted to comment on was the reservations story. As my friend and I were planning out our route and site-seeing stops, we had to look for hotels. A couple of months ago I started to frantically hunt and then to despair as I found nothing available under $200! It seems there is something called the Sturgis Road Rally right about the time that we had decided to vacation. It is a huge motorcycle ride through South Dakota. Most families of bikers turn it into a vacation either before or after, so there is nothing available to rent! All of that to say we will be "camping" at Mount Rushmore and in Cody, Wyoming. The boys are not at all disturbed by that, though their grandmother may be concerned. In both places we will have cabins, so actually we will be off the ground, but the showers and bathrooms are communal. In Cody we have also rented a "teepee" for the boys. I will need to stay there as well, since the cabins are not near the teepees. #2 was really looking forward to camping on this trip, so this was my concession to him. The original plan had 5 kids going, so it was going to be a night of fun. Now I don't know how it will turn out. The whole idea of campgrounds is quite different than what I had imagined. As I looked at KOA places, I was astonished. They have hay rides, dances, pancake feeds, campfires and smores, and much more. We may end up finding a new way to vacation! I don't think we will have enough time to do the site-seeing and the events at the campgrounds. I think whatever we end up doing though is going to be a lot of fun. -------- So while the boys were at the sleepover, Hubby and I went to see The Proposal. I hadn't seen great reviews about it, but I laughed through most of it. Maybe I just needed a night out, but it seemed quite funny to me. Tonight is the Guys' Night Out, and I will be having dinner out with some girlfriends. Tomorrow is the first day of school. I guess I won't stay out too late tonight.

No comments: