Friday, December 31, 2010

Spring? Cleaning

Spring cleaning in December causes surprise in people. They make comments like, "You are either very early or very late." The truth is I was very late. My spring was quite busy with an online class and a kid's broken head. Then summer came and there were camps and an exchange student. Suddenly it was fall and schedules were busy with school and activities. So December comes with a break and the opportunity to clean. My children do not see the break the same way as their mother. December comes and brings a break, but cleaning is not in any way implied. Here are some comments I heard... "Boy when my friends ask what I did for the holidays I can only say, 'Clean, clean, clean.'" "Don't you understand what "Holiday" means?" And my favorite, "But I don't want to!" The Queen of Clean couldn't keep this joy to her family alone, and so during a birthday party two more rooms were cleaned by the guests. I laid out all of the supplies and ran through the list of jobs to be completed then asked for volunteers. Here is part of the conversation... "So is Spring Cleaning just dusting and sweeping?" asked one friend. "It is deep cleaning. It includes washing the windows and walls..." I explained. "Wash walls! You wash walls?!" interrupted Best Buddy. "We don't wash walls." "Well then I will have to go to your house and teach you how to clean properly." I'm not sure, but I think I saw fear in his eyes. ------------- One of the reasons I love my house is that it has so many windows. I love letting light into a house. I love looking out and watching the animals in the field, the birds on the wire, even the stars at night. What do I not love about my house? The fact that it sits between a dirt road and a dusty field, but for now anyway ALL of the windows are clean. How beautiful. I told Hubby about #1's question, "Do you ever have fun?" I guess the answer depends on your age. Perhaps to a 14 year old, clean windows don't sound fun, but to a 40 year old woman who loves looking out the window they are very fun indeed.

No comments: