Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day

I had my feelings hurt this morning. I don't often get my feelings hurt, so it quite took me by surprise. I was looking through my jewelry box and came upon a special necklace. My husband asked me what I was doing and I said, "Looking at a necklace that I'm not supposed to have." Of course that intrigued him, and he asked to see it. "Where did you get it? And why aren't you supposed to have it?" "Are you serious?" Tears came to my eyes. He seemed perplexed by my response. "What?" "You really don't know where I got this necklace?" "No." Then the tears began to roll. I laughed at myself for being so silly, but it did hurt my feelings. You see, he gave me that necklace on our wedding day. We had agreed not to give each other presents, but he broke the agreement and gave me a gold necklace with a pearl and 3 small diamonds inlaid. After I reminded him it was a wedding present, he remembered giving it to me in his bedroom while I sat on his lap. We had just changed into our travelling clothes and were getting ready to head to the honeymoon. I'm glad he remembered. ---- We don't give many presents. Money is a factor to be sure, but mostly it is because I don't really want for much. He tried for years to give me things, but I didn't get as excited as he hoped, so he stopped. Now he watches and listens more carefully and is very intentional about the presents he gives me. I'm sure a lot of women wouldn't think of them as nice presents, but they are something I really want and Hubby has made a special effort to get them, so to me they are nice. For instance, for Christmas he gave me butchering knives because I need good knives for the chickens. Last week I received a food dehydrator because they didn't have any in the stores. I was going to use a gift card from my aunt to get it, but I couldn't. So Hubby took it upon himself to research the best ones and order it for me. It was a nice surprise. That is when presents mean something to me. When I know that Hubby has tried hard to please me and thought about what I really need and desire, and then has made a special effort. I listened to some women talking recently. They were discussing how to get their husbands to take them out and get them things. I was stunned. "What's wrong with your husbands? My husband would drop whatever he was doing if I told him I wanted to go out. It wouldn't matter if he were in the middle of something important or just really tired. My husband wants to be with me." They told me not their husbands. For our 20th wedding anniversary I had my wedding band and engagement rings resized. It seems the rest of me had resized on its own, and the rings didn't. But after a while the engagement ring broke from being so thin, and the wedding band cut me because it is thin too. So what did I get for Valentine's Day? A new wedding band. Now how could my feelings be hurt any longer? I love that man.

No comments: