Saturday, February 12, 2011

Weekends, Dehydrating, and Snow

Last weekend was jam packed with activity. We had a church consultant visit, which meant meals at the church and lots of meetings. Then #1 and I also had to work at the university basketball game, and of course there was a Superbowl party and Chili Cook-Off. Sadly the Steelers didn't win, but I did. I made some very good meat only chili. Normally I bring some chili home after the contest, but it was all gone before I even got a bowl of it! Next weekend I will be chaperoning a youth rally/trip. We leave Friday and get back Sunday. So as you can see last weekend and next are shot. Guess what that means? Yep. I am home this weekend working like a beaver! We have several 4H things to complete, schoolwork that needs finishing up, and a house that is begging to be cleaned. There is a Ladies' Breakfast today, but I am forcing myself to stay home and work instead. ------------- I had to rearrange some things yesterday due to extenuating circumstances, but it gave me a little free time to try out my new food dehydrator. I tried apples and pears, and we love it! I used the food slicer the first time and it made the pieces so thin that after they were dehydrated they were like the apple chips you can buy. #1 was mad at me for it because he got so addicted to them he kept coming downstairs to get more. The second time I sliced the fruit instead of using the processor and it worked pretty well. I think I may have dehydrated them too long, but they are still yummy and not as crisp as the first batch. ------------ The classes we are having this year as a group are going well. I think one of the things the kids like most is that it lets them have some common cultural experiences, like packing a lunch for school. Another that they were really hoping to experience was a snow day, but alas the snow wasn't as cooperative as it could have been. We did have a delay Thursday, but by 11:00 a.m. it was melted. I do what I can, but supplying the snow is up to God, and I guess He thought school was more important this week!

No comments: