Saturday, September 29, 2012

Fair Time

Well it is autumn, and it is supposed to rain all this next week. Must be time for the county fair! It always seems to work that way.
The boys are entering exhibits. #1 is decorating cupcakes, and #2 is making cookie bowls. You put the cookie dough around the underside of muffin tins and bake them into bowls. Then you fill them with ice cream.
I thought we had another day to turn in exhibits, then I saw in the paper that we could start turning in Friday. That made me wonder about the schedule, and I discovered that we had three hours to get them over to the fair! So budda boom, budda bing! The boys were corralled into the kitchen and put to baking.
The recipes need a little tweaking for the humidity. Hope those heavy skies hold off until we can deliver the goods!
UPDATE:
#2 decided to make pancakes for us this morning for breakfast. How sweet! Somehow he managed to get batter on his back! Then we realized the fair exhibits were due in three hours!!! So I yelled for them to start baking. #1 was planning on cupcakes, #2 on cookie bowls. The cupcakes didn't come out of the molds. The cookies baked over the side and spilled on the oven floor, causing quite a lot of smoke and smell. Then they wouldn't come off the tins. Quickly looked up the categories and found "Any food made with honey". #2 made coconut pecan icing (3/4 cup honey) while I whipped up some cupcakes. The icing had to cool to thicken, so it was partly made in the van while we raced to the fairgrounds. We made it in time. Whew!
Back home, I looked at my kitchen. I should have known after batter was on his back that this was going to be a mess. I don't like to let the boys use my kicthen. What a mess.

No comments: