Monday, September 10, 2012

Talkers

My boys are both talkers, though there seems to be a huge difference in when they choose to talk. They both went to two meetings last week. Now that they are both in high school, they are sharing some of the same experiences.
#2 came home and told me all about the Yearbook and SGA meetings: who was there, what they discussed, which committees they are on, what I need to do, and which month is our turn to take snacks.
#1 came home and told me squat. When I asked about the meetings, I got, "They were good." After much probing I got that he thinks he is on a committee for a dance this fall; he doesn't know really who is in charge of it.
I would think that he is just avoiding me or hiding things from me, but then I watch him wander around the house following directions I give, and realize he just doesn't listen. "Do we have any ketchup?" "Yes. It's in the fridge; we just opened a new bottle."
He goes to the pantry and looks all over for the new bottle of ketchup, which is all he heard in my statement. So it is probably good that the good listener, AND good talker, is the second child. Perhaps I will be informed all through the rest of high school that way.

No comments: