Friday, September 07, 2012

God Is Crazy

Wednesday was "Family Night" at church. That means we gather together for a meal, and then we have a large group devotional time that is fun for the whole family. It doesn't matter how old you are, or if you belong to a family. You will be gathered into a group and made to participate.
This particular night we were playing The Price Is Right. I finally had the right bid on some power tools, HA!, and was able to play one of the games. I had to put in order the price tags on some things I have never before bought or even tried to price. I failed.
Then we talked about what people are willing to pay for things. Outlandish prices in my mind. I certainly would not pay what was being asked! And then the lesson was driven home: How much did God pay for you? He sent his Son for worthless me, because for some reason He was willing to pay that much for me.
Later I was talking to the woman next to me, and she nearly cried as she said that she was the one person in the room that wasn't worth Christ dying. I assured her that none of us were worth that death, but she didn't believe me. I told her I have done some pretty low down things, but I still get to go to Heaven. Isn't that wonderful news!?
She still didn't quite believe. "I wish I could know that I could go to Heaven," she said.
"You can! Have you ever killed anyone?"
"No."
"Well, the Apostle Paul did, and don't you think he is in Heaven?"
"Yeah."
"See? Isn't God crazy!? But I am so glad he is! I don't deserve it, but I get to go to Heaven. WooHoo!"
I sure do love that Crazy God that I call Father.

No comments: