Thursday, September 27, 2012

I Am Cool to Someone

This past weekend I got my feelings hurt. #1 let it be known that he will not invite people over because I am "embarrassing." I don't pass gas in public, belch rudely, or say crude things. I dress modestly, yet classically. I have a good sense of humor. I have been a popular person most of my life. So just what is embarrassing?!
A friend took her 13 year old daughter to New york City recently, and they visited the Rockefeller Plaza Today Show area. A guy was giving a concert, and thousands of people were out on the sidewalks dancing. My friend joined in to the great emabarrassment of her daughter. It was perfectly fine for all of those other people to dance; hey, it was even "cool", but as soon as she saw Mom dancing along--- Embarrassment. I guess everyone is embarrassing to their kids, even if no one else is bothered by them.
So imagine my surprise and delight when #1 ran to greet me at the door this morning. "Hi Mom!" he happily offered. Of course I was suspicious.
"What are you up to?"
"Nothing. Why?"
Then I noticed the licking of lips. "What are you eating?"
"A donut," he grinned. "What's for lunch?"
Then I knew why he so quickly greeted me at the door. He thought my bags might hold more food! Well, I might be embarrassing, but I am good for some food occasionally. Guess I'm glad I'm good for something.

No comments: