Thursday, September 06, 2012

What's For Lunch?!

I am my children's teacher, and yet the question I get asked the most often is, "What's for lunch?" The second most often asked question is, "What's for supper?" The third most common question? A tie: "Do we have to do anything today?" and "Leftovers, again?" Seeing a trend here?
Yes, my kids like to eat. Often. Last night at church another lady and I were cleaning up and I made a comment about having had to go to the grocery store again. I said I had just gone two weeks ago! She was shocked, since she goes to the store daily. I, however, shop in advance, keep staples on hand, and prefer to shop once a month. I'll run out for some milk, maybe some bread, but that's it. Not anymore.
Both boys have reached the eating constantly stage. #2 can be swallowing the last of his meal and asking what's for snack all in one swallow! When I came home from the store on Wednesday, I had the boys unload the car while I unpacked things into the cupboard. When everything was in the house, I had #1 stay in the kitchen to tell me about his first math lesson with the tutor. At least that's what I intended when I had him stay. He did manage to tell me several things, but he also managed to open the grapes, dried pineapple, and gummy bears. He was heading into the bag of donuts, when I asked what he was doing. "I just thought I'd go ahead and open everything I like so you'll know next time what to buy." Gee Whiz!
The boys are both completing a cooking project for 4H this year. They were both irritated about having to do it, but I told them they ARE leaving home in a few years, and they need to know how to cook for themselves. #1 said he is fine; he can cook eggs. #2? "I can pour a bowl of cereal just fine." I imagine they will do well, having had several experiences over the years. What worries me, I guess, is that they won't be able to get a job that pays well enough to actually keep them full!

No comments: