Thursday, July 26, 2007

I read a poem, A Christmas Carol, by Christina Rossetti yesterday. It is about Christ coming to Earth as a baby. I liked the pictures that she created. She spoke of Christ leaving everything and coming to where all he needed was a breastful of milk and a manger of hay. I also liked the picture of all the angels and cherubim worshipping Christ, but only the Virgin Mary could worship him with a kiss. What an honor it was to be the mother of Jesus. To be the one who provided nourishment, sustenance, protection, care, and love for God would have been overwhelming if she thought about it too much. I also have been enjoying a women's band out of Canada, The Wailin' Jennys. One song especially spoke to me yesterday in light of the previous poem. The song talks about how bad life has gotten for the person and they just want to go "home." The refrain is something like this (I don't have a copy in front of me): "Hallowed be these frozen fields, where Heaven and Earth are far away, and every single one of us still left in want of mercy, Take me home." In a world that started with God in it, we have done so much to destroy it and ourselves. Then when God came back to help us, we paid no attention. Now we are all left in want of mercy. Going home will be a wonderful thing.

No comments: