Sunday, July 29, 2007

I fell asleep and then my husband came to bed, the dog started pacing, and now I am awake. I let the dog out and then she came back later, barking at the door. She wants to sleep in my room by my side of the bed now. I do let her do that when it storms, but it can't be a nightly occurence. For one thing, she moves around all night and wakes me up, and for another, Boy does she stink! An outside dog, part-time indoor dog doesn't work so well. We went to a get-together at friends tonight. They have a pool and most people swam and then we had a cook-out. I so much love getting together like that, but it just doesn't happen often. We get so busy with other things, that time just slips by without realizing you haven't been together in a while. Anyway, the kids had fun swimming and the adults had fun visiting. -------- The boys have started cooking once a week. On Mondays they pick out recipes for an entree and a side dish. If they want a dessert they can do that too. Then I go shopping for ingredients on Tuesdays. #1 cooks on Thursdays, and #2 cooks on Mondays. They have done well and I have been surprised by their choices. #1 has made turkey pie, catfish, apple crisp, strawberry banana coolers, and blackberry cobbler. #2 has made taco soup, a salad, chocolate pie, and for tomorrow is making Mexican sandwiches (like Po Boys), platz cake, and something else I forget right now. They are really doing fairly well. I do have to aid #2 a good bit, but #1 is mostly supervision. I make another side to go with their meal while they are cooking. It was during the catfish night that I realized I may need to be more careful about my supervision with #1. I was passing by the island when I saw him pouring pepper into a measuring cup. "What on earth are you doing?" "Getting the pepper ready," he innocently replied. "Well I am sure you don't need that much. How much did it call for?" I asked. "1/2 a cup." "No it didn't!" The argument went on a little while longer until I asked him to read the recipe to me. "Oh. 1/2 teaspoon," he meekly admitted. That was a close call!

No comments: