Monday, July 23, 2007

We went to Sunday in the Park last night. The band was from South America, and the Hispanics in the audience were enjoying it. The two women on the bench behind us were singing along. Of course, we only understood a word here and there. When I was at the shelter the other night one of the ladies from Mexico tried talking to me in English. She has improved greatly, and the little Spanish that I know helped a bit. I spoke to her about the oddities of her language and she said the same issues bothered her in English, like the placement of adjectives. She admitted to us that speaking in English makes her nervous because she doesn't want to mess up. That is the same problem I have. I guess at some point you just have to get past it. #1 asked yesterday why he has to learn Spanish and I told him because it is a language that a lot of people in our country speak. I understand the issue that a lot of people have about if you come here you should learn English, but I think Jesus would have tried to learn their languauge too. If you are trying to help someone and can't speak to them, it doesn't really matter at the time whose fault it is that you can't communicate. I once saw a man in a doctor's office that couldn't get help because no one could speak to him. That made me really realize how important it is that I learn, although I have to admit I haven't done a whole lot about it. ---------------- Hubby heard this conversation a couple of days ago. #2 yelling, "Ugly (the rooster) STOP that!!!" #1, "It's just kissing." #2 "No it isn't. It's TORTURE!!" They were discussing the rooster jumping on the hen when she jumped out of the cage. Breeding hasn't quite sunk in yet.

No comments: